Thursday, May 8, 2014

New Costumes Updates!

My, it has been a while! The dress form got to play dress-up today, so I finally got some great photographs of some of my newest costume pieces. The photos and descriptions are below...

Coat for McGonagall Costume
I made this a few years back for the midnight release of the 7th Harry Potter book. I modified a Simplicity pattern for this one, drafted a collar, and lined it in a very affordable Tartan I found (Couldn't pass up $5/yd!) 


Mirkwood Elf Doublet
This is the first part of my outfit for my Mirkwood Elf costume. I designed this to be paired with leggings and a tunic for a more active look, and I currently have a deep forest green gown in the works for a more feminine look. For now, I use black tunic and leggings that I have previously purchased to go underneath, but I will be making new tunic and leggings after the gown. The center image features the backside, and that is a truer representation of the main dark blue color than the close-up images. This was created using a dark blue velvet, navy blue velveteen, and a wonderfully silver/sage/dark green velvet. I made this piece in August 2013.

Peliçon
Since I started having a booth at Sherwood Forest Faire in the spring of 2012, I thought it was a great excuse to beef up my medieval wardrobe. The faire is set in the time frame of Robin Hood, so even though I want to make ALL THE THINGS from a few centuries, I try to remain within the realm of 1190s. For materials, I used a navy/grey wool for the outer layer, and a fuzzy faux fur blanket material for the lining. These horn toggles I bought at a Viking market at the metal festival Wacken in Germany, back in 2011. 

 Shield Maiden Dress & Cloak
My aunt gave me a bolt of off-white/eggshell colored poly/cotton fabric. It's a medium-heavy weight and a slight stretch. I came up with this design for it. A little while later, I found a lovely textured weave upholstery cloth to make a cloak. 


Besides these, I made two quick and simple gowns to layer, and a black velvet surcote. Those images will come later sometime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment